The Unabridge Naked Truth About Grandma

Inspired by the work of a fellow artist during a class taught by Tracy Budd at the Studio School in Roanoke, VA.




The Completely
Unabridged,
Naked Truth
About
Grandma

This
is the totally unabridged
An’ naked truth
‘bout Grandma…
I know
‘cause she’s mine
An’ I’m hers…
So she tells me all the time,
Like, while she’s pinnin’ her privatey thangs
Onto the saggedy wire
That cuts ‘cross the space
Twixt the two
Tenement buildin’s
Down on Lower South Side.
It’s real near the river.
Near the river
is where Grandma used to work.
The man Momma’s seein’ now Says,
“She used to work IT
Reeeal good.”
An’ I believes him
‘cause Grandma always says,
“Give it yer best, or don’ give it at all.”
She gived me a pair of old shoes, That momma says
I can’t wear outside;
“They’s jest fer dress-up,
IN the house.”
It’s OK,
I can’t walk in ‘em,
Jest yet
But I’m practicin’.
I seen anuther pair sorta like ‘em,
Only with spikety heels that’s a lot longer den mine
At Grandma’s.
They’s reeeal red,
Redder ‘n the far-trucks that’s parked on Front Street,
But not as red as the long, sequin-dy gown
That sparkles when I let the light into Grandma’s chifferobe,
Where I’m not supposed to
Peek.
But sometimes I do.
I seen pictures in there, too.
Grandma used to dress reeeal nice,
An’ she filled that sparkle-dy gown Riiight up!
You can tell the men in those pictures
Liked it  A lot
An’ her
Stuff
Didn’t hang like it does now.
I heard Grandma say so,
Once.
I think she still looks pretty good,
For a grandma.
I hear-d som-a the old fellas
Out front-a the closed up mercantile say as much,
They says stuff like,
“Dat woman…
Still got it…yesss, sirreee.”
They say some other things,
But Momma wouldn’t like me repeatin’ it.
So I won’t.
There’s times I think grandma jest hangs out her privatey things
To make people below look up.
‘Cause lotsa times she ain’t wearin’ nuttin’,
Specially ‘round’ the house.
She likes to stand at her winda
Catchin’ a cool breeze ‘n
Starin’ down inta that space
Betwixt the two buildin’s
Naked
All bared up
‘Cept for them red shoes.
Those times
I think she fergets that I’m there.
She gets a kinda
Smile on her lips.
Den she’ll hum a tune,
Or sway her hips
Back ‘n forth, back ‘n forth,
Til she gets tired or remembers I’m there.
She’ll slip her purpledy dressing gown over her shoulders
An’ then slip off those shoes,
Rubbin’ hard at her toes,
Shakin’ her head,
Laughin’ ‘bout somethin’,
I don’t know.
If I ask,
She’ll just say,
“Child, you is too young for my stories…
Someday…
Someday we’ll talk,
But not just yet.”
You can bet, I won’t let her ferget that.
She usually makes me get her biters off the mantel piece,
Then tugs one of my braids, when she slips those yellowin' teeth into place.
Some mornin’s she fixes me mush before we do the shoppin’.
I only like Grandma's mush.
She takes her liquidy “med-cine
From a cup.
I know what
med-cine
Really is.
My daddy used to buy it at the licker-store,
Before momma made him leave.
Grandma says hers is for the arthee-rightus.
It sure does loosen her up good.
Sometimes,
when she’s all good an’ loose,
We turn up the music
Reeeal high.
An’ we dance ‘round the room like hootchy cootchy mamas,
‘Til we lie in a heap,
Her warm, perspired arms wrapped ‘round my skin ‘n bones,
Laughin’
'Til tears spill out an’ down our cheeks.
Momma wouldn’t approve,
So we don’t tell her.
There’s lots of
Stuff
We don’t tell momma,
But sometimes,
I think momma’d like to dance
An’ just “hang out”
Like Grandma.
I seen her open her shirt by the bathroom winda before
To let the cool breeze
Fill her up with a little smile.
But she don’t stand there fer long,
An’ she don’t smile much.
Grandma says,
“she’s a differnt kinda bird,”
Not like me
Or her, 
“Which is probly a good thang.”
Momma goes to church.
Grandma don’t,
But she knows a whole lotta that bible right by heart.
She keeps hers tucked inside the bedside table drawer
With a little silver flask,
Three pairs of glasses,
An old piece of lace wrapped ‘roun an old prickly stem,
An’ pieces of dried up petals,
An’ a picture of somebody I don’t know
In a uniform.
On the back it’s got writin,’
“Remember me when I am gone
I’ll be your dreams until the dawn
Though days may pass with me afar
My love is twinkling in the stars.
Forever yours, Henry XO”
I can’t ask Grandma ‘bout it
‘Cause I’m not supposed to be a nose-a-body.
Seen her lookin’ at it late at night, when I peek in 
Quiet like on my way to the bathroom.
Sometimes she’s talkin’ to it,
The picture,
Sometimes she just stares,
But every once in a while,
She’s all dressed up in that sequin-dy dress
Dancin’,
Holdin’ tight to that picture
Of a uniformed man
Who’s called Henry, XO.
In the mornin’ she’ll be back at the winda
Maybe, naked as a jay-bird
With her feet in those high up heels
Pinnin’ her privatey thangs to the wire
That runs ‘twixt the two tenements down on Lower South Side,
Near the river,
Where Grandma’s lived
Forever.
An’ where I am learnin’
The Unabridged an’
Naked truth
About Grandma.        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on a Christmas message

Does My Memory Serve Me?

Beach Art